Montoya Rocks in Cup Practice
Juan Pablo Montoya (#42 Target Chevrolet) led the way in final practice for the Chevy Rock & Roll 400. The popular Columbian driver posted a speed of 124.412 mph on the challenging ¾ mile Richmond International Raceway oval. Second fastest, at 124.390 mph, was three-time defending NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson (#48 Lowe’s Chevrolet). Mark Martin (#5 Kellogg’s/CARQUEST Chevrolet) turned a fast lap of 124.218 mph showing that he too is a favorite for the Fas Mart Pole. Rounding out the top 5 were Jeff Gordon (#24 Dupont/National Guard Wounded Warrior Chevrolet) and Kasey Kahne (#9 Budweiser Dodge).
Virginia natives Denny Hamlin, Jeff Burton and Elliott Sadler had mixed results. Hamlin (#11 FedEx Express Toyota) of Chesterfield, set the 6th fastest time. South Boston’s Jeff Burton (#31 Caterpillar Chevrolet) had the 22nd fastest time and Emporia’s Elliott Sadler (#19 Best Buy Insignia Dodge) posted the 40th best time.
Speaking about his chances in Saturday’s race, Hamlin said, “We’ve got a car that’s good enough, we just have to execute.”
- NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Returns to RIR
- RIR, Classic Rock 96.5 & NASCAR Driver Sam Hunt Team Up for Food Drive Atop 153-ft Video Scoring Tower
- Tonight's Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Cancelled
- RIR Kicks Off 9th Annual Central Virginia Food Bank & Marine Toys for Tots Drive
- Kids Pricing Offered in All Grandstands at RIR's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Races