Sixth Annual Community Tree Lighting Kicks Off Holiday Season
Hundreds came out for the illumination of the community tree at Laburnum Ave. and Meadowbridge Rd.
SIXTH ANNUAL COMMUNITY TREE LIGHTING AT RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY KICKS OFF THE HOLIDAY SEASON IN THE GREATER RICHMOND METROPOLITAN AREA
December 2, 2009 - The holiday season has officially begun at Richmond International Raceway, after the track hosted its Sixth Annual Community Tree Lighting last night. The event was attended by hundreds in the community who joined together for a night of holiday cheer to kick off this special season.
Students from Laburnum Elementary School provided musical performances and tree decorations. Douglas Wilder Middle School students also provided tree ornaments. The Henrico High School Mighty Marching Warriors band provided holiday music and Henrico’s athletic boosters served hot chocolate and cookies to those in attendance.
Additionally, Frank Thornton, Henrico County Board of Supervisors-Fairfield District; Henrico County Manager, Virgil Hazelett; local fire and police officers; and front office members of the Richmond Flying Squirrels attended the event.
The night was capped off with the illumination of a 30-foot-tall holiday tree that will remain lit every night through December 25.
Several attendees brought food and toy items for Richmond International Raceway’s drives to benefit the Central Virginia Foodbank and the Marine Toys for Tots program. The track will match all donations received, item-for-item, through Friday, December 18.
- Richmond International Raceway to Host Daytona Day Watch Party on Sunday
- Virginia Native Gray Gaulding Takes Over RIR Social Channels at Speedweeks at Daytona
- Richmond International Raceway Unveils New Marketing Campaign “Chaos At Every Corner”
- Stage Lengths Announced for Richmond International Raceway April and September Weekends
- RIR Cares’ Day of Giving Awards Deserving Organizations with Grants