Virginia's Denny Hamlin Wins at Michigan, Steps Closer to Chase Berth
Hamlin's Win at Michigan Sunday Moved the Virginia Driver into the Sprint Cup Series Top 10
Sunday’s win is Hamlin’s first of the season, after winning eight times in 2010 and contending for the series title. He entered the weekend 12th in points with no guarantee that he would make the 2011 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship. With Sunday’s victory, Hamlin jumped to the ninth position in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings and with the win is one step closer to securing a spot in the championship field.
“This is the point of the season where we really need to start hitting our stride, and hopefully we've got another good 10 weeks before the Chase starts," said Hamlin. "Realistically, you know if the whole world collapses and ends, you're still one win away from getting a Chase spot, pretty much. We know two wins pretty much puts you in. From here on out, we know we're one win away."
Hamlin will return to Richmond International Raceway, his home track, on Saturday, September 10 for the “One Last Race to Make The Chase,” as the defending race winner. Tickets for the September 9-10 NASCAR doubleheader weekend are on sale now and can be purchased by clicking here or by calling the Richmond International Raceway ticket office at 866-455-RACE (7223).
- Daniel Hemric Takes the Pole Award for ToyotaCare 250 NASCAR XFINITY Series Race
- Nathan’s Famous Hot Dogs Named the Official Hot Dog of Richmond International Raceway
- Matt Kenseth Will Lead the Field to Green in Sunday’s TOYOTA OWNERS 400
- Nick Meeson Wins Inaugural Checkered Flag 5K Sponsored by Bon Secours & Midlothian Athletic Club at Richmond International Raceway
- Speed Into Science Sponsored by Gene Haas Foundation & M&T Bank Takes Students Into the Science of Racing at Richmond International Raceway