Virginia Boys Team-Up to Make Dynamic Duo for 2012
Two Virginia natives are teaming up for the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season. 2011 championship crew chief, Darian Grubb of Floyd, Virginia will sit atop Chesterfield, Virginia native Denny Hamlin’s pit box in 2012.
A Virginia Tech graduate, Grubb joins Joe Gibbs Racing after an impressive championship run with driver Tony Stewart at Stewart-Haas Racing. He led the team to five victories in the final 10 Chase races, resulting in the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship. A three-year veteran at Stewart-Haas Racing, Grubb also spent six years with Hendrick Motorsports as an engineer and filled in as the winning crew chief for 2006 Daytona 500 winner Jimmie Johnson.
“I’m looking forward to working with another Virginian,” stated Grubb in a press conference today. “Denny and I met and talked a lot about Virginia Tech football. We raced around each other some coming up through the ranks, but never together. We’re excited to get to know each other more and talk about home more.”
The duo will make their first trip to Richmond International Raceway as a team in April, when the ¾-mile track hosts the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown as part of a NASCAR quadruple header weekend. Hamlin knows the way to Gatorade Victory Lane at RIR with five wins, including victories this past April in the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown and BUBBA burger 250. Grubb, who grew up watching races at RIR, has his eyes set on his inaugural visit to RIR’s Gatorade Victory Lane in April.
“Some of my first memories of Richmond International Raceway are the late model races,” added Grubb. “It’s a pretty special place to me. I’d love to win a race at RIR this year with Denny.”
NASCAR returns to Richmond International Raceway for a quadruple header, featuring the Saturday, April 28, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race ; Friday, April 27, NASCAR Nationwide Series race and the Thursday, April 26, doubleheader: Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown Late Model race , preceded by the Blue Ox 100 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race . Ticket deposits are being accepted now for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race online or by calling 866-455-7223.
- Richmond International Raceway Announces Washington Redskin Morgan Moses as Honorary Race Official & Former NASCAR Driver/FOX NASCAR Analyst Kenny Wallace as Honorary Pace Car Driver for the TOYOTA OWNERS 400
- Richmond’s WRVA-AM Celebrates 25 Years as The Commonwealth’s Motor Racing Network Flagship
- Navy F-18’s to Perform Flyover for TOYOTA OWNERS 400 at Richmond International Raceway
- GEICO Partners with Richmond International Raceway for Restart Zone and Campground Sponsorship
- New Track Announce Team Set to Give Voice To Richmond’s Spring NASCAR Race Weekend