Winning Becomes More Important Than Ever at Richmond International Raceway
NASCAR Announces Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Format Changes
NASCAR announced a new championship format today that will put greater emphasis on winning races all season long, expands the current Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup field to 16 drivers, and implements a new round-by-round advancement format that ultimately will reward a battle-tested, worthy champion.
With the new changes, winning at Richmond International Raceway becomes even more important, as a victory in the first 26 races all but guarantees a berth in the 10-race Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.
“There’s always been a feeling of electricity in the air during the ‘One Last Race to Make The Chase’ weekend at Richmond International Raceway, when everyone is talking about winning and being in a position to make the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup,” said RIR President Dennis Bickmeier. “The new changes to NASCAR’s ‘play-off’ system will now bring that feeling of excitement to all the races by putting the focus on winning every single week.”
Fans at Richmond International Raceway can now expect to feel the same buzz and electricity in the air during the TOYOTA OWNERS 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race in April as they’ll feel during the Federated Auto Parts 400 “One Last Race to Make The Chase” NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race in September.
And when the checkered flag flies on Saturday night, September 6, the field will be set for the 2014 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.
“There’s never been 16 different winners in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series going into the 26th race of the season,” explained Bickmeier. “The stakes are high and fans should expect to see a lot of drivers fighting for the win here in Richmond!”
Changes announced to the championship format include:
- A victory in the first 26 races all but guarantees a berth in the 10-race Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup – a change that will put an unprecedented importance on winning a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race all season long.
- Expanding the Chase field from 12 to 16 drivers, with those drivers advancing to what now will be known as the NASCAR Chase Grid.
- The number of championship drivers in contention for the NASCAR Sprint Cup championship will decrease after every three Chase races, from 16 to start in the Chase Grid; 12 after Chase race No. 3 (Dover); eight after Chase race No. 6 (Talladega); and four after Chase race No. 9 (Phoenix).
- The first three races of the Chase (27-29) will be known as the Challenger Round; races 30-32 will be known as the Contender Round; races 33-35 will be the Eliminator Round and race No. 36 will be the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship.
- A win by a championship-eligible driver in any Chase race automatically clinches the winning driver a spot in the next Chase round.
- Four drivers will enter the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship with a chance at the title, with the highest finisher among those four capturing the prestigious NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship.
With wins meaning everything, there will be a sense of urgency all season long. Don’t miss your chance to see all the excitement at Richmond International Raceway. Get your tickets now for the TOYOTA OWNERS 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race, featuring Dale Earnhardt Jr., Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch and all your favorite drivers. Advance tickets start at $35. New in 2014: tickets for children 12 and younger are $25 off the adult price in ALL grandstands. Click here or call 866-455-7223 to purchase.
The weekend begins Friday, April 25, with a full day of on-track activity and two races “under the lights”! Don’t miss Elliott Sadler, Ty Dillon, Sam Hornish Jr., Brian Vickers and many up and coming drivers in the ToyotaCare 250 NASCAR Nationwide Series race, followed by the BLUE OX 100 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race. Tickets start at $30 in advance, and kids 12 & younger are admitted FREE in general admission.
- Jimmie Johnson & NASA Team Up For an Out of This World Race Day at Richmond International Raceway
- Chase University College Program Arrives at Richmond International Raceway
- Midlothian Athletic Club Partners with Richmond International Raceway for the Inaugural Checkered Flag 5K
- Weezer to Headline iHeart Media Richmond’s XL102 BFD at The Classic Amphitheater at the Richmond Raceway Complex
- Elvis Costello & The Imposters to Play The Classic Amphitheater at the Richmond Raceway Complex