NASCAR's New Qualifying Format Bringing Excitement to RIR Fri., April 25
Pole Qualifying at RIR will have a totally new look on April 25
NASCAR is implementing a new qualifying procedure for its three national touring series. Fans at Richmond International Raceway will get their first glimpse of the excitement on Friday, April 25, during Farm Bureau Insurance Pole Qualifying for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series. Tickets for Friday include a seat for that evening’s ToyotaCare 250 NASCAR Nationwide Series race and the BLUE OX 100 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race.
At tracks measuring less than 1.25 miles (including Richmond International Raceway, which is ¾-mile), qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of two rounds:
- The first qualifying elimination round will be 30 minutes in duration and includes all cars. The 12 cars that post the fastest single lap time from the first qualifying round will advance to the second and final round.
- The remaining cars will be sorted based on their times posted in the first round of qualifying in descending order.
- There will be a 10-minute break between the two qualifying rounds.
- The second and final qualifying round will be 10 minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time posted will determine positions 1st through 12th in descending order.
“This is a great move by NASCAR that will bring even more excitement to an action-packed day at Richmond International Raceway,” said RIR President Dennis Bickmeier. “Fans are going to be treated to a new level of intensity with qualifying events that are in line with the RIR brand. Combine that with a seat for the ToyotaCare 250 and BLUE OX 100, and you have one of the best ticket values in all of sports entertainment.”
Tickets for Friday, April 25, are now available, starting at $30 in advance. Children 12 and younger are admitted free with a ticketed adult. To purchase, click here or call 866-455-7223.
The NASCAR weekend continues at Richmond International Raceway on Saturday, April 26, with the TOYOTA OWNERS 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race, featuring Dale Earnhardt Jr., Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch and all your favorite drivers. Advance tickets start at $35. New in 2014: tickets for children 12 and younger are $25 off the adult price in ALL grandstands. Click here or call 866-455-7223 to purchase.
- Matt Kenseth Wins the Federated Auto Parts 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup Race at RIR
- Chase Elliott Wins the Virginia529 College Savings Plan 250 NASCAR XFINITY Race
- Joey Logano Runs Away with Department of Veterans Affairs Pole Qualifying
- Kyle Busch Tops the Board in NBC12 Pole Qualifying for the NASCAR XFINITY Series
- Richmond International Raceway Goes Gold to Honor Jeff Gordon and Support Childhood Cancer Awareness